How do your changing hormones impact pelvic floor health and function?
Women tell me all the time that they didn’t realize so many of their symptoms and issues that they had dealt with for years, stemmed from changing hormones. When estrogen levels begin to decrease in the perimenopause stage, as early as age 35-40 years old, it has a big effect on all of the systems within your body. Many women don’t realize that their changing hormones play such a big role and most have no idea that it can also affect your pelvic floor!
I hope that this episode today will educate women on this topic so they know what will happen in the future or have a better understanding if they are dealing with this currently. On this episode, I talk about the effect of decreasing estrogen levels and how some common pelvic floor dysfunctions such as incontinence, prolpase and painful intercourse, can occur or be exacerbated because of changing hormones.
- [0:35] Why is it important to know how your hormones impact your health long term
- [2:00] The definitions of perimenopause, premenopause and menopause
- [3:15] What body systems does estrogen affect during the perimenopause stage?
- [4:00] How estrogen can cause you to lose muscle and bone mass, including losing muscle mass in your pelvic floor muscles
- [6:00] Important exercise considerations in order to maintain your bone health
- [8:00] Decreasing estrogen causes dryness and less secretion of mucous on your mucosal tissue, including the vagina and urethra
- [8:55] The reason why prolapse can occur or worsen as your hormones change
- [10:15] Stress incontinence gets worse as time goes on and this is the reason why
- [11:35] Painful intercourse is another common complaint for women when their estrogen levels start changing.
- [13:15] Why it is important to resolve your lady issues earlier rather than wait till you are getting older
Subscribe and Review in Apple Podcast
Are you subscribed to my podcast? If you’re not, I want to encourage you to do that today. I don’t want you to miss an episode. I will be adding bonus episodes and if you’re not subscribed, there’s a good chance you’ll miss out on those! Click here to subscribe in Apple Podcast.
Now if you’re enjoying the episodes, I’d be really grateful if you left me a review also. Those reviews can help other people find my podcast so they can benefit from the information too. Plus, who doesn’t like to hear nice things about their work?!? Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let me know what you’ve enjoyed the most. Thank you so much!
Links mentioned in this episode:
6 Easy Solutions for your “Lady Issues” - FREE DOWNLOAD
7 Steps to END Incontinence - FREE DOWNLOAD
Research Study - "Tissue Specific Effects of Loss of Estrogen during Menopause and Aging", Wend et. al 2012