Exercising with Pelvic Floor Dysfunction - the Good, the Bad, and the Starting Point
Exercising with pelvic floor dysfunction can make it so confusing to know which exercises are good, which ones you should avoid and where to even start. The most common pelvic floor dysfunctions that leave women feeling confused and frustrated with exercise are incontinence, prolapse and diastasis recti.
With so many different types of exercise available, it can be hard to know what to believe nowadays. In this podcast episode, I will dispel the myths about exercising with pelvic floor dysfunction, clarify which exercises to avoid and also a good starting point depending on your issue.
- [1:00] Disclaimer - everyone is different and the advice on this episode is a generalization for pelvic floor dysfunction
- [1:25] If you are experiencing leaking, pelvic pressure or heaviness, or abdominal doming during exercise, that is your body’s way of telling you it is at its limit for ability
- [2:00] Peeing your pants during exercise (running, crossfit, jumping jacks) is common but not normal
- [5:10] Exercise Guidelines for Category 1 of Pelvic Floor Dysfunction - pressure issues including Diastasis Recti and Prolapse
- [10:10] What is the transverse abdominus and why is it important to focus on with exercise
- [12:15] Exercise Guidelines for Category 2 of Pelvic Floor Dysfunction - Incontinence
- [14:15] Why kegels aren’t the answer all the time for your issues
- [16:30] Exercise Guidelines for Category 3 for Pelvic Floor Dysfunction - Low Back Pain, Pelvic Pain and Pubic Symphysis Pain
Subscribe and Review in Apple Podcast
Are you subscribed to my podcast? If you’re not, I want to encourage you to do that today. I don’t want you to miss an episode. I will be adding bonus episodes and if you’re not subscribed, there’s a good chance you’ll miss out on those! Click here to subscribe in Apple Podcast.
Now if you’re enjoying the episodes, I’d be really grateful if you left me a review also. Those reviews can help other people find my podcast so they can benefit from the information too. Plus, who doesn’t like to hear nice things about their work?!? Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let me know what you’ve enjoyed the most. Thank you so much!
Links mentioned in this episode:
The Revitalize Woman Podcast EP 01 - When to do kegels and when not to
6 Easy solutions for your "Lady Issues" - FREE DOWNLOAD
Everything you need to know about Diastasis Recti - FREE DOWNLOAD
7 steps to end incontinence - FREE DOWNLOAD