Women’s healthcare includes a wide variety of topics but it can be overwhelming to deal with some of these issues. Often times, women have so many issues about what is normal, what is important to talk to their doctor about and what are some of their options. On today’s episode, I chat with Dr. Amy Rider, board-certified obstetrician gynecologist, about all things related to women’s healthcare. We cover all the issues including pregnancy, postpartum, and menopause.
Listen to some of the reasoning behind why things are done a certain way in the medical model and what is “normal” and what is not. We talk about common postpartum issues such as diastasis recti and prolapse and why these may not always be checked by your OBGYN. Then we discuss some of the hot topics regarding hormone replacement therapy and what the research really says about the risk for cancer and how to use it. It’s also really important to understand the symptoms of menopause and how the changing levels of estrogen impact your body. This episode is jam-packed with some really great information so you don’t want to miss it!
- [2:50] Dr. Rider sees a wide variety of women’s health issues within her practice but the biggest reason women come in to see her are for irregular cycles and painful periods. Other reasons that she sees women are for birth control and family planning, pregnancy, painful intercourse, pelvic pain and post-menopausal complaints.
- [4:03] Hear what Dr. Rider assesses for at the 6-week postpartum visit and why she may not be as focused on musculoskeletal issues such as diastasis recti and prolapse at that time due to the medical follow up that needs to be done at that time.
- [6:08] Women often times ask us “why didn’t my OBGYN check my diastasis recti” so we asked about this and also talk about the differences in training in regards to this area between physical therapists and physicians.
- [7:22] When women get assessed for issues such as diastasis recti and prolapse, there are sometimes discrepancies between providers in women's healthcare so I talk about the importance of realizing there are going to be slight differences between how something is assessed.
- [10:40] Is it harder to recover from a C-section or a vaginal delivery? Hear Dr. Rider’s explanation of recovery for both and what goes into recovery.
- [12:50] Whenever there is an injury to tissue, the strength of that tissue does not return to 100%. We discuss this in regards to VBAC deliveries and what the concerns are with it.
- [15:34] Is it true that practitioners are prescribing estrogen cream as a way to break up scar tissue? Dr. Rider discusses how lower levels of estrogen can cause vaginal dryness and pain and when it’s helpful to prescribe estrogen cream.
- [17:39] Learn about common premenopause and menopause symptoms like insomnia, hot flashes, and weight gain.
- [18:50] Dr. Rider explains how decreased estrogen levels affect the body and cases where hormone replacement therapy is beneficial and the symptoms it helps the most.
- [26:56] We talk again about estrogen cream and hormone replacement therapy, specifically with regard to potential risk for cancer. Dr. Rider clarifies that estrogen cream is thought not to have systemic effects and she expounds on a study about oral hormone replacement therapy and breast cancer.
- [31:15] Have you ever wondered what menopause is and how to know if you are starting that stage? Hear about the common early signs of menopause and how to tell if you are entering that phase.
- [35:05] Hear about how becoming a mom this year has impacted her practice and how she relates to her patients.
- [37:47] We chat about the pressures working for a large healthcare company compared to private practice. Dr. Rider tells what it’s like to be production-based and how she hasn’t allowed the production focus to impact her practice and the care she gives her patients.
- [41:48] Listen to Dr. Rider as she shares the big misconception some women have about women's healthcare and what to know before you see your OBGYN.
Subscribe and Review in Apple Podcast
Are you subscribed to my podcast? If you’re not, I want to encourage you to do that today. I don’t want you to miss an episode. I will be adding bonus episodes and if you’re not subscribed, there’s a good chance you’ll miss out on those! Click here to subscribe in Apple Podcast.
Now if you’re enjoying the episodes, I’d be really grateful if you left me a review also. Those reviews can help other people find my podcast so they can benefit from the information too. Plus, who doesn’t like to hear nice things about their work?!? Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let me know what you’ve enjoyed the most. Thank you so much!
Links Mentioned In This Episode:
Find Dr. Amy Rider HERE
FREE REPORT - Everything you Need to Know About Diastasis Recti
EP01 - When to do kegels & when not to (Revitalize Woman Podcast)
EP02 - Changing hormones (Revitalize Woman Podcast)
EP03 - Pelvic-floor safe exercise (Revitalize Woman Podcast)